Home page for Math 508, Advanced Analysis
Instructor: Charles L. Epstein
WWW tip: Click on the "Reload" button to make sure you are seeing
the most up to date version of this (or any) page!
In this course we study the foundations of analysis. The goal of this
to develop your skills and instincts as mathematical analysts. This
understanding the basic concepts and techniques of analysis, as well as
developing intuition and proficiency in the construction of rigorous
I like to use The
Way of Analysis, by Robert Strichartz as a text, but I noticed that the
price is now $263. A free pdf is readily available online. Other good books include Terry Tao's
Analysis I (it can be purchased from the
AMS), Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin, A Consise Introduction to Analysis by Daniel Stroock,
Mathematical Thinking by John P. D'Angelo and Douglas B. West.
A problem set will be assigned every week, on Tuesdays. We may have one or more midterms and a final.
- The class meets from 3:00 to 4:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays in room A6 of DRL.
- My office hours are 3:00-5:00 on Mondays, no appointment is
required. Send e-mail if you have a
or would like to come see me at some other time.
- email: email@example.com.
Send e-mail or call if you need to see me at some other time.
- My office is DRL 4E7, my telephone number is: 8-8476.
- The TA for the course is Aline Zanardini. Her e-mail is
firstname.lastname@example.org. Her office is 3N2A, and her office hours are Tuesday 1:30-2:30 and Friday 9:00-10:00.
Syllabus for the course
- Integers, sets and rules of deduction
- The real numbers and topology of the real line
- Sequences and series of numbers
- Continuous functions
- Differential Calculus
- Integral Calculus
- Sequences and series of functions
- Approximation of Functions
Lecture Notes et al.
- The homework due in class on Sept. 18 can be handed in on Sept. 20. I will
be in my office to answer questions on Sept. 20 from 11:00-12:00.
- Your lowest homework score will be dropped.
- The midterm will be in-class on October 18, 2018.
- The first class meeting will be on August 28, 2018 at 3:00.
- Problem set 1 due September 11, 2018.
- Problem set 2 due September 18, 2018.
- Problem set 3 due September 25, 2018.