Possible topics for Math 350 projects
Here are some possible topics for student projects. Other topics are suggested in the text's
web links and the text's list of student projects.
Back to Math 350 home page.
- golden mean and Fibonacci numbers (taken, 12/5)
- partition function (taken, 12/2)
- twin primes and related questions (taken, 12/9)
- continued fraction expansions for e (taken, 12/7)
- history of Fermat's Last Theorem (taken, 12/5)
- quadratic reciprocity (proof, generalizations, or history)
- Riemann hypothesis (taken, 12/9)
- diophantine approximation of integers by fractions with small denominator
- Waring's problem: representing integers as sums of powers
- p-adic numbers and Hensel's Lemma
- biography and work of one of the mathematicians mentioned in the text (e.g. Leonhard Euler, David Hilbert, Sophie Germain, Donald Knuth, Ramanujan)
- algorithms for fast computations of addition, multiplication, matrix
operations, etc. (taken, 12/7)
- algorithms for primality testing
- quantum computing
- cryptography in electronic commerce
Back to David Harbater's Home Page.