Mathematics 113: Complex Analysis
Harvard University - Spring 2008
TH 10:00-11:30 in Science Center 507
- the syllabus is below -
- exams -
- Instructor: Prof. Robert M. Strain
Office Hours: Prof. Robert M. Strain
has office hours on Tuesdays from 1:30 till 2:30 and on Wednesdays from 2:00 until 3:00. These are held in Rm. 230 of the Science Center. Please drop in if you have questions.
CA Sections: Kelly Harris has a section on Monday at 8:30PM in SC 310,
John Lesieutre has a section on Tuesday at 3PM in SC 101B.
They hold office hours on Wednesdays starting at 8PM in Qunicy dining hall.
- Textbook: Marsden & Hoffman, Basic Complex Analysis, 3rd ed.
A copy of this edition of this text is on reserve in the Cabot library.
- Topics: The course will cover analytic functions of one complex variable.
We will study chapters I - V of Marsden & Hoffman.
The topics covered are likely to include: Complex analytic functions, Complex integration & Cauchy's theorem, Power series, Laurent Series and Classification of Singulariteis, Calculus of Residues, Conformal Mappings
- Prerequisites: Mathematics 23a,b, 25a,b, or 112, or permission of the instructor.
This course can be taken after Mathematics 55b (contrary to what it says here).
- Homework: We will have weekly assignments. Late homework will not be accepted, but the two lowest homework grades will be dropped. Collaboration between students is encouraged, but you must write your own solutions, understand them and give credit to your collaborators.
- Midterm: There will be one in-class midterm just before spring recess on Thursday, March 20.
- Final: Subject to approval by the Registrar, there will be a take-home final to be completed over a two day period during reading period.
- Grades: The course grade will be based on homework (40%), the midterm (20%) and the final (40%).
- Important dates
- January 31 - First Class
- March 20 - In-class midterm
- March 25, 27 - Spring Recess
- May 1 - Last Class
- May 3 to May 14 - Reading period
- Friday May 9 at noon to Sunday May 11 at noon - Take-home final exam
Please note that all downloads have been removed.