Math 350, Fall 2005
Undergraduate Number Theory
- Faculty: David Harbater
harbater AT math.upenn.edu
- Telephone: (215) 898-9594; Department office: (215) 898-8178
- Office: DRL 4E2A; Department office: DRL 4W1-6.
- Office hours: Mon., 11am-noon.
- Grader: Elena
Bogdan, DRL 4N31; Off.hrs. M 5-6pm, Th 6-7pm.
- Lectures: MWF 2-3, DRL A5.
- Textbook: Kenneth Rosen, Elementary Number Theory, Addison Wesley, 5th edition, 2005.
- Homework: Weekly problem sets, to be handed in at class.
- Projects: Group projects to be presented to the class near the
end of the semester, with written versions to be handed in by the group.
- Exams: Midterm in class on Monday, Nov. 7; Final exam on Wed.,
Dec., 21, 12-2, in Moore 212. Sample final
- Review session: Monday, Dec. 12, 2-3, DRL A5. Will go over
sample final exam.
Contents of course:
- Topics in number theory include: congruences, congruence equations, multiplicative functions, primitive roots, quadratic reciprocity, continued fractions.
- Applications of number theory include: introduction to cryptology, public-key cryptography, RSA, discrete logarithm.
Homework assignments for Math 350
Back to David Harbater's Home Page.